Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)

Seasonal Affective Disorder, also known as SAD. Sounds like a joke. Sounds like they devised an acronym for depression and then thought about what the S, A, and D should stand for. My link to the description of symptoms and treatments is, appropriately, from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.

It's October, and already we've skipped fall and plunged into winter. Granted, it's not -20 degrees yet, but so far we've had temperatures that, in Atlanta, would be the coldest days of the year. Worse: I haven't seen the sun all week. Gray skies are a nice backdrop to colorful fall leaves. But in November. When the calendar finally permits you to start daydreaming about turkey, stuffing, and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. Already, in my mind, I'm planning a Hanukkah party but time really needs to catch up with the weather.

Sigh. So far my remedies have been homemade chicken soup, tea, and casseroles. I even got a new (well, replacement) winter coat to allow retail therapy to work its magic. Maybe I'll just carve a pumpkin and enjoy the 40 degrees... because we know that even this "bad" weather won't last...

1 comment:

  1. Fellow minneapolite here...just found your blog and wanted to say hey!

    ReplyDelete