Saturday, June 27, 2009

My First Race

I've been running for my exercise for the past couple years, and I've always thought it would be fun to run in a race. Well, today, I popped my 5K cherry. I'd expressed my nervousness about running in races to a co-worker who suggested today's race: a 5K fun run as part of Pride Weekend. Donations from my registration fee go to an organization called District 202 that sponsors LBGT youth. They host events like a gay-friendly prom for high schoolers, which sounds fun, and I want to go.

When I woke up early this morning, it was raining. By the 9 AM race start time, the humidity was thick. I knew the race would be a struggle considering I was drenched in sweat and dehydrated after the first half mile. Nevertheless, Adam and Justin ran with and pushed me the whole way and helped me to keep pace. The friendly gays cheered me on too! I finished 31:18... not bad. I'll take it. I'd have liked to clock in under half an hour, but I *won* because I crossed the finish line without stopping to walk at any point. I also *won* because I totally earned the breakfast burrito I scarfed down an hour later.

Before:




After:

No comments:

Post a Comment