Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Trouble with Dressing for Minnesota Summers

Now don't get me wrong: I'm not really complaining. But it is so freaking over-air-conditioned everywhere I go! I'm overjoyed for the heat and yet still must dress for winter. Harrumph!

Enjoy the heat! Embrace the heat! Don't get A/C, but, yes, do buy a fan. Otherwise, you will wake up in a pool of your own sweat every morning when the sun rises at 6. As you may have guessed, I have learned this the sticky way.

How does one dress for a Minnesota summer? In addition to the constantly fluctuating temperatures, there's also the blessing/curse of Minnesota being a teensy bit behind in fashion. (Someone I work with had never heard of H&M!) You know, even as I'm writing this, "behind" is not the best way to describe people's attitudes about clothes. Maybe ambivalence is more true to the point?

I'll admit that I am not the queen of fashion, but I did pick up a bit of materialism during my time at GW. And being image and label-conscious. I'm glad I can begin ignoring these things again, which leads me to the whole point of this post. (If I ever said I enjoyed brevity, I was lying.)
I imagine these shoes are so comfortable for the summer. Half sneaker... half sandal! But I cannot- will not- let myself buy them. I am not a mom and I have 8 more years til I turn 30. Damnit why can't I fully morph into a Minnesotan? Then I would SO have bought them already.

P.S. In my Zappo's hunt, I found Ugg boots on sale. Might as well snap those up-- I'll need them by September!

1 comment:

  1. Good choice not to buy... definitely think Mom bought a pair. You can try hers on when she comes to visit for the 4th. hah

    ReplyDelete