Monday, July 13, 2009

We've been going to a lot of concerts lately

Saturday night, Adam, new friends, and I went to the Minneapolis music festival, Basilica Block Party. If Rock the Garden was for hipsters, Basilica Block Party was for high schoolers. Judging by the amount of kids in braces without wristbands, I'm guessing the median age in attendance was 16. Although, considering Matt Nathanson was performing, I'm not sure why I felt surprised to feel so old. After all, I saw Matt Nathanson when I was 16!

The concert headliner was Counting Crows, who I actually do like. Their song "Anna Begins" makes me want to have a little cry and then exclaim about the beauty and pain and selflessness of love.

Snap her up in a butterfly net and pin her down on a photograph album.
I am not worried cause I've done this sort of thing before.
But then I start to think about the consequences,
And I don't get no sleep in a quiet room and

This time when kindness falls like rain
It washes me away. And Anna begins to change my mind.
And everytime she sneezes I believe it's love and,
Oh lord, I'm not ready for this sort of thing.


In fact, (forgive me Adam) the whole concert was quasi-romantic despite the crushing crowds. Between Matt Nathanson and the Counting Crows, I was in a total music vortex of Rachael's Taste in Music circa 2003. The music that--as a high school girl, who only had crushes on guys and was dreaming of her own Adam--made me believe that love was out there and would someday happen to me. And then, here I was in 2009, listening to that same music with my boo!


No comments:

Post a Comment