Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Summer Reading

Reading, like writing blog posts, requires practice. It's not like shooting freethrows where practice makes perfect--so much as you need practice in order to create a routine. If I get out of the practice of thinking about what to write next for my blog, weeks go by before I remember faithful readers will be missing me. Similarly, unless I'm reading consistently, I forget to make time to read. The cure? Salacious books I can't put down!

First it was Middlesex. A book so commanding in its force and imaginative story telling, I didn't want it to end because I cared too much about the characters to say goodbye. Three or four summers ago, everyone was walking around with a copy (Thanks, Oprah!) but if you somehow missed the boat, I implore you to read this book. [And, sidenote, if you haven't read Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon, we can't be friends again until you do.]

Now, looking for a light escape in contrast to Middlesex, I took the Twilight plunge. How I wish I hadn't... I'm already on book 2 of the series and I know there will be no rest until I have completed book 4. For shame. The writing style and literary quality are lacking and yet there's an adrenaline rush from speeding through 150 pages of the book in one hour. Tsk tsk me if you must, but honestly what can be better than the epic, dangerous romance between a girl and her LOHL (love of her life) vampire? Not TV, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment