Saturday, May 2, 2009

Nostalgia

I've been thinking a lot about college lately. In just a couple weeks, the anniversary of my graduation will pass. Friends and acquaintances from the class of '09 are beginning to post messages on Facebook like "last class ever!" or "one more final to go before I'm done with college!" Weird that it's their turn now. Also, I'm here in Tucson surrounded by college students, most of whom are sophomores, who are almost halfway finished yet still have two very long years before graduation.

Plus, Adam is in DC right now visiting all our old college friends.

It's strange. When I first decided to take a trip to Tuscon, I purposely planned it for the same weekend Adam scheduled a trip to DC. Even though I was welcome to go with him, I chose to go to Tucson so I could have guaranteed heat and an escape from MN. But, in all honesty, part of me felt reluctant to go back to DC. I'm not emotionally ready. I worry that a trip to DC would have me comparing my life in Minneapolis to what I could have had if I'd stayed in DC. I miss my friends and want to see them, but I listened to my gut which was telling me to stay away a bit longer.

In the one day I've been here, I've gotten a slight sunburn and have had a relaxing time. It feels like a vacation. Adam, on the other hand, has been completely immersed in a trip down memory lane, and it sounds like he's the one having more fun.

I wouldn't say I regret my decision to not go to DC. But I definitely feel like I'm missing out on the good times they're having, pretending it's the old days.

Recently, I got two good pieces of advice. The first was from a coworker who put it to me this way: think about the kids who aren't allowed to write or call home the first two weeks of summer camp. Of course you're homesick--that's ok-- but, over time, you will let yourself get swept up in the present.

The second piece of advice was instead of feeling sorry for myself that I don't have my former college social life, plan trips. No one tells you what to expect post-college in your 20s, but it can be challenging to adjust. So, spend your hard-earned income and plan weekend trips to visit your girlfriends. That totally changed my attitude: I NEED to see my friends! And even if I do return to DC and feel wistful for my old life there, looking forward to reconnecting with old friends is better than missing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment