Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day, Part II

So, we enjoyed a delightful Italian dinner at a nice, step-above-Olive-Garden restaurant in downtown St. Paul. We had a lovely time and no premonition that Adam would get a parking ticket despite the sign that read NO PARKING. We were wrong. Adam is paying the $25 fine, but he also wishes to dispute his guilt.

Read his letter to the St. Paul Traffic Violation Department:

To whom it may concern,

On the night of February 14, 2009, I was issued a parking ticket for parking in a place which is reserved for permit holders and exempt on holidays. While I cannot begin to argue that I possess a permit, I do take notice that the date in which my violation occurred fell on a holiday. I am well aware that Valentine's Day, celebrating the life of the patron saint of love, is but a Hallmark holiday. However, according to my girlfriend, I must treat it with the same respect which I give to all federal holidays. Otherwise, she says, our relationship would cease to exist. Which is why on the night of February 14, 2009, I was celebrating the life of St. Valentine by taking my girlfriend to St. Paul's own Il Veno Visco. When I arrived, all parking lots were full due to the Wild game, and the only spot available was the spot which required a permit or a holiday--one of which fits into the current paradigm. And I know that since St. Valentine's Day is not a federal holiday, I am guilty of such infraction. For this very reason, I have included a check for $25. I do, however, hope that in the future, parking tickets will not be given on a day which most of mankind must participate in holiday-like activities in order to please their other half.

Sincerely,
Adam

P.S. Although Adam would have liked to pen the above letter with a quill and ink, he did incorporate an old-fashioned flourish by stamping his Chinese name next to his signature.

No comments:

Post a Comment