Monday, February 16, 2009

Interviews Galore

Three (3) interviews= "Galore." And, believe it or not, this is a job-related blog post, so it actually fits under the title of Unemployed in Minneapolis.

The first interview was last Friday at the literary center downtown, and I think it went well. Although it is an unpaid internship, I still believe that I stand to make great connections and gain invaluable experience in marketing/PR, non-profit work, and could even have the opportunity to learn marketable skills like grant writing. Plus, it would give me indescribable warm fuzzies to be in a writers' community again.

Today, I went to the law firm, which was an intense interview. It's a small practice, so I actually met with the partners. They asked me questions which, in theory, I should be prepared for, such as "tell us about your greatest weakness." To me, my pause seemed like an eternity, but I hope they interpreted it as a brief period of reflection. Another shining moment occurred when I was listing my strengths as my communication skills, both written and verbal. Unfortunately, I got tongue tied and never finished the sentence after announcing how articulate I am. Otherwise, they laughed at a couple jokes I made, and I'd be happy to take the job.

And... on my way to the interview this afternoon, I got a call from another job I'd applied to, which is in St. Paul. It would be a bit of a commute, and I'm unsure of how the Mpls > St. Paul traffic patterns work, but I'm not letting that deter me. I had a good gut feeling when I first applied to the job and checked out the company's web site. (Do your research, kiddies!) That interview is on Wednesday.

With such a busy interviewing schedule, who has time for work or self-pity? Good thing considering PBK might as well have fired me since I have zero (0) hours scheduled between now and who knows when? They're slashing payroll hours like crazy, but, truthfully, I won't mind not working there if I have a better job to replace it... And if I remain an active, casual employee there but am primarily working somewhere else, I will finally be able to afford to use my 40% discount!

No comments:

Post a Comment