Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Job Prospects?

Nothing too eventful--barring the STEELERS SUPERBOWL WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-- has happened recently. But let me upgrade (oops, too much Beyoncé!) update you.

Last Friday I went to a temp agency to take a skills assessment test and have a face-to-face interview with a recruiter. The first test was an Excel exam and a kick in the butt reminder that experimenting with Excel in college doesn't exactly make me a proficient data entry girl. Did you enjoy that alliteration? The computer asked all kinds of questions that I absolutely didn't know the answer to, but I ask: Do you know how to make a pie chart with the data in column 2 with one keystroke? I'm happy to report I fared much better in the Word and typing portions of the test.

My recruiter, Briton, sat down with me and we discussed my resume and how the temp agency functions as an extension of my job search. So far, they've called me about a job that is not in my desired location nor for my desired pay, but hey, keep pushing that resume around Briton!

As for my own resume pushing, I'm currently in a period of lethargy. Only one person has responded to my cover letter emails, and she only wanted more preliminary info before she'd invite me to interview. Can cross my fingers there, but I'm not holding my breath. (Two cliches in one sentence!)

I still look daily on the job search sites, but I've stopped applying to jobs I wouldn't want to do anyway, which is resulting in fewer options. Looking at the calendar, I've been in Minneapolis not quite one month. I'm still keeping my head above water, but I'm watching my checking account dwindle into chump change. Not including a meager paycheck from PBK a week from Friday, my only immediate hope for cashflow is a tax refund. The good news is that, thanks to Adam's and my parents' support, I'm not in danger of eating Ramen noodles anytime soon... unless I suffer from a severe sodium deficiency.

So, that's about where I am now. Sort of waiting, still looking, pondering writing the next great American novel now that John Updike [RIP] has passed. But I'm curious if something will pan out in the next week or two because I recently had a fortune cookie that read "An opportunity too good to pass up is near."

No comments:

Post a Comment