Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day

I know, I know. I'm one of the lucky ones who won't be alone on Valentine's Day. But don't hate me! I still wish everyone I know: single, dating, married, "it's complicated," and anti-VDay a ton of CHOCOLATE!

Here's a Washington Post article about kissing. Warning: this racy exposé on the decline of kissing will give you the urge to makeout--make sure someone willing is nearby!

And since I'm a huge nerd, I subscribe to Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day in anticipation of ever having to re-take the SAT. The words are usually pretty interesting and often topical on holidays. I thought I'd share 2/14/09's word with you today.

Merriam-Webster’s
Word of the Day
February 14

spoony
\SPOO-nee\ Audio Pronunciation
adjective
Play Podcast

Meaning
1 : silly, foolish; especially : unduly sentimental
*2 : being sentimentally in love

Example Sentence
It was Valentine's Day and spoony couples were enjoying romantic candlelit dinners at the city's many fine restaurants.

Did you know?
In 19th-century British slang, "spoon" meant "simpleton" (a meaning that may have been influenced by the "shallowness" of some spoons). That use of "spoon" brought about the adjective "spoony" to describe a silly or foolish person. In time, the foolish manner implied by "spoony" began to take on sentimental and amorous overtones, and it soon became the perfect word for those foolishly head over heels in love. Another "spoon" is a verb referring to love-making or necking. That use of "spoon" may stem from a Welsh custom in which an engaged man presented his fiancé with an elaborately carved wooden spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment